Fire engulfs Baie Verte seniors home, all 11 residents safe

A seniors' home in Baie Verte caught fire around 5 p.m. on Thursday, with all residents inside getting out safely.

Baie View Manor is expected to be a total loss, said Clar Brown, the town's mayor.

"All the firemen are out and they're fighting it," Brown said. "It's engulfed in smoke, black smoke, right throughout the whole building."

All residents were moved to a nearby church, and are now being moved to homes of friends and relatives, Brown said.

Primary health-care coordinators and social workers are on site to help with any needs the residents have.

Central Health is asking the families of displaced residents who have not yet been in contact to call one of their coordinators at 709-424-2946 or 709-571-6141.