Fire forces 150 people from their homes in Repentigny

Two buildings were evacuated overnight due to fire, forcing 150 people from their homes in Repentigny, just east of Montreal.

No one was injured but 12 units were damaged.

The fire broke out around 1:30 in the morning and about 60 firefighters were called to the scene.

According to the deputy director of the Repentigny fire service, Marc Rocheleau, the fire may have been caused by an electrical issue.

Residents forced out of their homes in the frigid cold night were taken to Repentigny city hall, but by 6 a.m. the inhabitants of one of the two buildings, which was only affected by heavy smoke, were allowed to return.

The second building sustained fire damage and will not be inhabitable for at least a few weeks.

The residents of the damaged building are being helped by the Red Cross.