Crews contain blaze of commercial building in Mount Pearl

Crews contain blaze of commercial building in Mount Pearl

A vacant Mount Pearl commercial building was damaged by fire Sunday morning.

Firefighters received a report of smoke at the building, at 910 Topsail Rd., around 11 a.m.

Owner Ron Walsh said it appears the fire may have started near the furnace, but the cause is not yet confirmed.

Walsh said the building is under renovation, and that he hoped to open the business as a salon and spa within the next four to six weeks. He said the fire was a big disappointment.

No one was in the building at the time of the blaze.

The fire was quickly put out, but windows were blown out and the building suffered smoke and water damage.