Ford says pit bull ban not changing, expresses sympathy for boy bitten by dog

·1 min read

Doug Ford says Ontario's pit bull ban isn't going to change right now as he expresses sympathy for a boy bitten by a dog that had drawn the attention of the premier.

The dog was seized by Vaughan Animal Services a month ago on suspicion of being a pit bull and was released back to its owners on the day the province eased regulations related to the ban.

The regulatory change allows seized dogs that look like pit bulls to be released while an investigation into the dog's breed takes place.

The owner of the dog had said Ford took an interest in the case and indicated a repeal of the pit bull ban was planned.

Late last week, the dog – an American Bully named Dwaeji – bit a 13-year-old boy and left him with facial injuries that required stitches.

Ford says his thoughts are with the boy who was bitten.

"Nothing is going to change right at this point," the premier said Wednesday when asked about plans to repeal the pit bull ban. "Our thoughts are with the family."

A lawyer for Tommy Chang, who owns the dog, said the incident took place on Friday night, at his client's martial arts studio.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Nov. 10, 2021.

The Canadian Press

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting