Former city councillor sentenced for assault with weapon, uttering threats

·2 min read

THUNDER BAY — A former city councillor has been sentenced to a 12-month conditional sentence order for one count of assault with a weapon and uttering threats.

More than a year after the incident, Larry Hebert, now 73, appeared in a Thunder Bay Zoom courtroom on Wednesday, Dec. 23, and pleaded guilty to the charges stemming from a November 2019 incident in the city.

There is a court-ordered publication ban on details of this case.

Thunder Bay police initially charged Hebert, a former city councillor, with one count of attempted murder.

Police were called to a residence at South Vickers Street following reports of a disturbance. Police were told a man had attacked another person inside the home and threatened to kill them during the assault.

The victim fled to a neighbouring home to call 911, according to a previous police media release.

At a court proceeding on Dec. 23, the Crown filed a replacement information and charged Hebert with one count of assault with a weapon and uttering threats.

The attempted murder charge was withdrawn at the request of the Crown on Wednesday.

Hebert was given a 12-month conditional sentence order to be followed by three years of probation.

Under conditional sentence order, he is not allowed to contact the complainant. He must also follow curfews, attend counselling, not possess any weapons and is not allowed to consume drugs or alcohol.

Hebert also received a five-year weapons prohibition. He was also ordered to submit his DNA into a national forensic database.

Hebert was granted bail in January after pledging $10,000 for his release.

Hebert served three terms on city council, having first been elected in 2006. Before entering politics, Hebert served more than two decades as a general manager at Thunder Bay Hydro.

Hebert apologized for his actions when asked to speak by the court.

Karen Edwards, Local Journalism Initiative Reporter, Thunder Bay Source