Four young boys killed in a devastating house fire are 'being left home alone' in south London have been pictured.
The two sets of twins, aged just three and four, were pulled from their burning mid-terrace home in Sutton, south London at around 7pm on Thursday night.
They were given CPR and all four were taken to hospital but pronounced dead shortly after arrival.
The Met Police confirmed today that a 27-year-old woman has been arrested on suspicion of child neglect and is being questioned.
London Fire Commissioner Andy Roe said their deaths had “left everyone numb with profound sadness” while Met Police Superintendent Rob Shepherd said their deaths were a "devastating and tragic loss".
One woman, who has two children in the same primary school the boys attended said: "My son was very upset this morning, he’s old enough to understand.
Westbourne Primary School in Sutton said they were “devastated” by the deaths of the children, two of whom were pupils there.
In a statement, the school said: “Westbourne Primary School and its entire community are devastated at the news of the tragic loss of the four children; our hearts, thoughts and prayers are with the family and anyone else affected by this heartbreaking event.
“We will continue to support the children, the staff, the families and the community through these very difficult times.”
The children's family is being given specialist support while investigations continue into the cause of the fire.
Emergency services were called to Collingwood Road in Sutton just before 7pm on Thursday.
The London Fire Brigade said eight fire engines and around 60 firefighters were called to the scene.
Firefighters in breathing apparatus went into the house and removed each of the four children.
They were treated at the scene by teams from London Ambulance Service as well as London’s Air Ambulance and Air Ambulance Kent Surrey Sussex before being rushed to hospital where they sadly died.
Andy Roe said: "This is an incident that has left everyone numb with profound sadness. My thoughts are with the family and friends of the children, the whole local community and all those who will be affected by this fire.
"Fire crews arrived quickly and located the children inside the property.
"They were brought out of the house and given immediate emergency care.
"The welfare of our staff involved in this incident is very important to us and all of them will be offered counselling as a priority."
The fire was under control by 8.36pm and the cause is under investigation.
The Metropolitan Police said no arrests had been made. It said the children’s next of kin were aware and would be provided with specialist support.
Met Police Superintendent Rob Shepherd said: "The thoughts of everyone at the South Area Command Unit are with the family and friends of these four young children, who have suffered such a devastating and tragic loss tonight.
"I know these sentiments will be shared by the local community, Sutton and London as a whole."
He added: "At this very early stage the cause of the fire is unknown and will be investigated."
Graham Norton, assistant director of operations at London Ambulance Service, said: "Our thoughts are with the family and friends of the four young children and everyone affected by this devastating tragedy."