Francois Legault plans to announce changes to COVID-19 restrictions Tuesday

·1 min read

MONTREAL — Quebec Premier Francois Legault says he plans to announce changes to Quebec's COVID-19 restrictions Tuesday.

Legault wrote in a Saturday-morning Facebook post that he hopes to be able to relax some restrictions, particularly those around retail stores, if the situation permits.

Legault wrote that the changes would come into effect after Feb. 8, the day a province-wide curfew is scheduled to end.

But the premier warned his plans could change in the coming days based on the evolving pandemic situation.

Businesses designated "non-essential" have been closed across Quebec since Dec. 25 and the province has been under an 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. curfew since Jan. 9.

Earlier this week, Legault said most of the restrictions currently in place will likely remain in effect after Feb. 8 and suggested the curfew would be among those measures.

The premier has credited the curfew with contributing to a significant drop in the average number of new COVID-19 cases reported in the province.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Jan. 30, 2021.

———

This story was produced with the financial assistance of the Facebook and Canadian Press News Fellowship.

The Canadian Press