Frederick Gingras, who is facing charges of first-degree murder and attempted murder in connection with an overnight shooting spree in Pointe-aux-Trembles last December, is to be back in court on April 12.
Gingras, 21, is charged with two counts of first-degree murder in the deaths of James Jardin and Chantal Cyr, a 49-year-old mother who had been waiting outside a gas station to pick up her daughter from work.
He has also been charged with two counts of attempted murder related to injuries sustained by Annie Baiillargeon and Gerard Lalonde.
At the Montreal courthouse Tuesday, Gingras's defence lawyer, Kaven Morasse, said he is still waiting for evidence from the prosecution.
Gingras has a long history of mental illness and drug problems, and at his last court appearance, he was sent for treatment to the Pinel Institue, Montreal's forensic psychiatric hospital.
"He's going to have to remain there and keep receiving treatment, medical treatments, constantly until the next court date," said Morasse.
He said his client now seems to be stable.
Morasse told reporters at the Montreal courthouse that a defence of not criminally responsible remains a possibility.
"There's no options that we will not think about in this case," Morasse said. "I have to have all the documentation in the file before we take a position."