Fredericton kitchen fire sends 1 person to hospital

Afternoon fire in Fredericton's Devon area forces 4 people out of home

One person was taken to hospital on Monday night after a kitchen fire at a Fredericton apartment building.

Gary Charters, platoon captain with the Fredericton Fire Department, said the individual was sent to the Dr. Everett Chalmers Regional Hospital for treatment.

Charters didn't know if the individual sustained any serious injuries or if they had been released from hospital.

He said crews responded to a three-storey apartment building shortly after 6 p.m. on Barton Crescent.

"There was a grease fire that was contained to the kitchen area of that apartment," he said. 

Charters said the remainder of the apartment suffered smoke damage.

Crews left the scene just before 8 p.m. on Monday night and the fire is still under investigation.