Harry and Meghan’s entrance to a charity event in New York was marred when a lone heckler berated them for "destroying the Royal Family”.
The couple, who are preparing for the launch of their tell-all Netflix show on Thursday, were in Manhattan to receive the Ripple of Hope Award at a gala by the Robert F Kennedy Human Rights (RFKHR) organisation on Tuesday night.
Crowds who had arrived to catch a glimpse of the couple cheered them as they made their way into the venue – but one person could be heard shouting criticism of the pair.
The heckler said: “What do you think about destroying the Royal Family, Meghan? You've destroyed the Royal Family.”
Please take a moment to change your settings if the below tweet doesn't load
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex arrive at the Ripple of Hope Award gala in New York pic.twitter.com/pqTrfyyjG8
— Fred Dimbleby (@freddimbleby) December 6, 2022
Harry and Meghan did not respond to the heckle as they made their way past the media.
The accolade given to the couple honours exemplary leaders across government, business, advocacy, and entertainment, and the pair were recognised for their racial justice and mental health work.
The pair were recognised alongside other honourees including Ukrainian president Volodymyr Zelenskyy.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex's appearance was their first red carpet event since the release of the trailer for their Harry & Meghan documentary – and the press were keen to question the pair on the controversy surrounding it.
In the trailer, Harry suggests there were stories “planted” against Meghan while they were part of the Royal Family, while he is also heard saying: “The pain and suffering of women marrying into this institution, this feeding frenzy.”
Watch: Harry and Meghan face questions about Royal Family at awards ceremony
However, Harry “refused” to answer any questions over the trailer, with reporters asking if he was “putting money before family”, and asking if he was “harming” the royals.
The heckling of the couple may not come as a surprise in light of the controversy surrounding the documentary – but protesters also targeted other members of the royal family this week.
On Tuesday a man in his 20s was arrested on suspicion of common assault after an egg was allegedly thrown in the direction of King Charles during a walkabout in Luton.
Bedfordshire Police said the suspect was in custody for questioning after being arrested in St George’s Square in Luton on Tuesday.
His visit came just days after the official trailer for Harry and Meghan’s six-part Netflix series was aired.
Last week, the Prince and Princess of Wales were met with a small pocket of boos as they sat to watch a basketball game in Boston during a US visit.
William and Kate’s three-day trip to Boston was overshadowed by a race row that saw Lady Susan Hussey resigning from her role in the royal household after she repeatedly questioned Ngozi Fulani, a prominent black British-born domestic abuse charity boss, about where she “really came from” during a Buckingham Palace reception.
Boos could be heard around the arena when Kate and William were introduced by a stadium announcer and shown on the big screen at the basketball game.
Other fans in the crowd could be heard loudly cheering “USA, USA” when the royal couple appeared on the screens in the centre above the court.