Hong Kong protests: Polytechnic University scientist who tried to help protester shot by police jailed for a year

·3 min read

A Hong Kong scientist who sought medical attention for a protester shot by police during the 2019 unrest has been jailed for a year for taking part in an unlawful assembly.

Dr Yau Wang-tat, who obtained a PhD in applied physics at Polytechnic University earlier this year, was sentenced at the District Court on Friday, one month after admitting the charge arising from the clashes in Tsuen Wan on October 1, the 70th anniversary of the founding of the People’s Republic of China.

Although a suspended jail sentence was an option, Deputy Judge Li Chi-ho ruled out that possibility, citing the violent nature of the protest and a lack of exceptional mitigating factors.

Do you have questions about the biggest topics and trends from around the world? Get the answers with SCMP Knowledge, our new platform of curated content with explainers, FAQs, analyses and infographics brought to you by our award-winning team.

Li also said an officer’s use of a pistol to subdue Form Five student Tsang Chi-kin was justified, adding the illegal demonstration was marked by intense violence and clear premeditation.

A police officer opens fire on a protester on Hoi Pa Street in Tsuen Wan. Photo: Handout
A police officer opens fire on a protester on Hoi Pa Street in Tsuen Wan. Photo: Handout

Tsang, now 20, was initially charged alongside Yau and five others with rioting, with Tsang facing two additional counts of assaulting a police officer.

On October 1, a number of mostly masked protesters set up multiple roadblocks in Tsuen Wan and hurled petrol bombs and bricks at police.

Tsang was said to be among a group of radical protesters who “strenuously” attacked officers with hammers, pliers, rods and umbrellas near Hau Tei Square at about 4pm.

The court heard that the student was shot in the abdomen after swinging a rod at a station sergeant, who had run out of non-lethal ammunition at the time of the assault.

Yau, 28, rushed towards Tsang but was immediately subdued by a constable. He told police his only motivation was to help the injured protester.

Yau pleaded guilty last month to taking part in an unlawful assembly, punishable by five years in prison, after prosecutors agreed to drop the rioting charge, which carries a maximum jail sentence of 10 years.

Second mega court for Hong Kong protest cases to have 250-person capacity

The defence counsel urged the court to take into account Yau’s exceptional academic achievement and commendations from his teachers and impose a suspended sentence, permitted in cases where a defendant is sentenced to a jail term of two years or less.

While acknowledging Yau’s talent and contribution to scientific research, Li said they offered no justification for suspending his sentence, adding he should have realised the consequences of flouting the law when he committed the offence.

“The present case is clearly premeditated,” the judge said. “The intensity of the violence can hardly be described on paper.”

The judge set a starting point for sentencing of two years imprisonment and halved it to reflect Yau’s guilty plea, clear criminal record and minor role in the protest.

Tsang, who survived the gunshot, jumped bail in December last year and said he would “never surrender himself to face political persecution from the Beijing-controlled Hong Kong government”.

Four of the other five riot suspects jointly charged with Tsang and Yau were jailed by a different judge in May for up to 56 months, with the fifth defendant absconding before the trial.

More from South China Morning Post:

This article Hong Kong protests: Polytechnic University scientist who tried to help protester shot by police jailed for a year first appeared on South China Morning Post

For the latest news from the South China Morning Post download our mobile app. Copyright 2021.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting