Hot cooking oil cause of fire on Birmingham Street in St. John's

Hot cooking oil cause of fire on Birmingham Street in St. John's

Two people were sent to hospital Monday after a fire in a St. John's basement apartment.

A man and a woman were cooking with hot oil on Birmingham Street when the fire broke out around noon.

The St. John's Regional Fire Department put out the fire, but there was extensive damage to the kitchen.

The couple were taken to hospital, one for observation and one with minor burns.

The upstairs owners of the home were not hurt.