Israeli forces recover body of Ron Binyamin who was killed in Oct. 7 massacre

WASHINGTON — The Israeli military said Saturday its forces recovered the body of Ron Binyamin, who was among 252 people seized by Hamas-led Palestinian gunmen in a cross-border October 7 massacre last year.

Chief military spokesperson Rear Admiral Daniel Hagari said Binyamin was found along with three other slain hostages whose repatriation was announced on Friday. Citing intelligence information, the military said all had been killed on Oct. 7.

The Hostages Families Forum Headquarters, a coalition of hostage families advocating for their release also known as Bring Them Home Now, issued a statement on X, formerly Twitter, saying that it “bows its head and mourns upon receiving the difficult news.”

“Returning his body to Israel is a sacred mission that allows his family to grant him eternal rest in the land of Israel,” the group said in a statement.

Related: Israelis ask if world has forgotten their hostages six months after the trauma of Oct. 7

The other three hostages - Shani Louk, 23, Amit Buskila, 28, and Yitzhak Gelernter, 57 - were attacked by Hamas while attending the Nova Music Festival on Oct. 7.

IDF spokesperson Daniel Hagari said their bodies were transferred to medical professionals for a forensics examination and identification.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said in a statement that he was "heartbroken for this great loss. My wife Sara and I grieve with the families.”

He also reiterated a pledge to return all remaining hostages.

Contributing: Dan Williams, Reuters

This article originally appeared on USA TODAY: Israeli forces recover body of hostage Ron Binyamin