John Cusack is in talks to star alongside J.K. Simmons in director Mark Palansky’s dark comic heist thriller “My Only Sunshine.” XYZ Films will handle worldwide sales at the Berlin Film Festival.
In the film, Cusack plays one half of a passionately dysfunctional couple, who orchestrate a bank robbery as an unconventional act of bloodthirsty marriage counseling. Trying to make peace with the shocking mystery of their relationship throughout a violent hostage situation is a cop hostage negotiator (Simmons), who previously investigated a past related murder.
More from Variety
- 'Serendipity': NBC Developing Series Inspired by Kate Beckinsale, John Cusack Movie
- John Cusack to Star in Amazon Series 'Utopia'
- Saban Films Saddles Up for Western 'Never Grow Old' in North America (EXCLUSIVE)
The film was written by J.T. Petty and K. Reed Petty, and is produced by Circle of Confusion‘s Matt Smith and Lawrence Mattis, and Michael Mendelsohn from Patriot Pictures. Mendelsohn’s Union Patriot Capital Management is fully financing.
Petty, Natalie Perrotta, and Jim Steele will be executive producing. Production is scheduled to start spring/summer 2020.
Palansky is known for directing “Penelope,” starring Christina Ricci, Richard E. Grant and Catherine O’Hara, and “Rememory,” starring Peter Dinklage.
Best of Variety
- Oscars 2020: The Complete Winners List
- Final Oscar Predictions: Who Will Win in the Major Categories?
- Oscars 2020: How to Stream and Watch Online