Kay Burley says ‘it’s great to be back’ after returning from suspension

Kay Burley was back in front of the cameras after a six-month suspension for breaking COVID-19 lockdown rules.

The Sky News presenter returned to work on Monday morning, saying it was “great to be back”.

Burley was suspended last December after she celebrated her 60th birthday at a restaurant in London, breaching what were then Tier 2 restrictions.

She volunteered at a food bank while on suspension.

Last week, she celebrated her imminent return to screens by telling her Twitter followers: "See you on Monday. Hope you’re as happy as I am to be back."

Her show on Monday featured interviews with former prime minister Gordon Brown, Bristol mayor Marvin Rees and shadow foreign secretary Lisa Nandy.

Starting the broadcast at 7am, she said: “Hello everybody, it is great to be back.

“It is seven o’clock here in the UK. Welcome wherever you’re watching us around the world. Let’s crack on.”

Shortly before returning to screens, Burley posted a video from the Sky News studio in which she detailed the “busy day” ahead.

Following an internal review in December, Sky News found that “a small number of Sky News staff attended a social event in London” where COVID-19 guidelines were breached.

It said: “All those involved regret the incident and have apologised. Everyone at Sky News is expected to comply with the rules and the company takes breaches like this very seriously indeed.”

The channel’s political editor, Beth Rigby, and correspondent Inzamam Rashid were also both taken off air for three months following the review.

Credit: Sky News via Youtube