Landfill closure project budget increase approved

·1 min read

The budget for the latest slope closure at the regional landfill is going up $941,066 following approval by the Regional District of Nanaimo board of directors.

The board awarded the cell one, stage two north slope closure project to Secure Energy for approximately $1.86 million at their June 28 meeting. The work involves placing a final closure cap made of layers of materials including a heavy polyethylene geomembrane and clay to create a barrier between the waste and ground surface. It is designed to capture landfill gas, reduce odour and direct rainwater away from the landfill and into stormwater systems to reduce leachate. This stage is a continuation of the 2011 closure along the portion of the landfill facing Cedar Road in Electoral Area A.

About $2.1 million had been included in the RDN’s 2022-26 financial plan for the project. The additional funds bring the project up to over $3 million, which includes engineering, construction and supplies to be purchased by the RDN, such as the geomembrane, with the hopes of avoiding project delays due to ongoing supply chain disruptions. With that, supplies could be purchased a month ahead of the contractor, staff said. The project will need to be completed before the rainy season.

“The budget increase is mostly tied to the high inflation that we’re all experiencing today, which has driven up the costs of engineering, materials, labour and construction,” Ellen Tian, RDN general manager of regional and community utilities, told the Sounder.

A staff report on the project says the additional costs will be covered through solid waste capital reserves.

Rachelle Stein-Wotten, Local Journalism Initiative Reporter, Gabriola Sounder

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting