The latest news on COVID 19 developments in Canada for Tuesday, Jan. 19

·2 min read

OTTAWA — The latest news on COVID-19 developments in Canada (all times eastern):

11:20 a.m.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says any Canadians who still have international trips planned need to cancel them.

The variants of the novel coronavirus identified in the United Kingdom, South Africa and Brazil could change the situation rapidly and he warns that Canada could impose new restrictions on the border at any time, without warning.

---

11:15 a.m.

Quebec is reporting a significant drop in new COVID-19 infections today with 1,386 new cases.

The province also reported 55 more deaths attributed to the novel coronavirus, including 16 that occurred in the prior 24 hours.

Health officials say hospitalizations rose by nine, to 1,500 and 212 people were in intensive care, a drop of five.

Quebec has reported a total of 245,734 confirmed cases of COVID-19 and 9,142 deaths linked to the virus.

---

10:50 a.m.

Prince Edward Island is reporting two new cases of COVID-19 today.

Chief medical officer of health Dr. Heather Morrison says the new cases involve a woman in her 40s who is a contact of a previously reported case, and a woman in her 20s who recently travelled outside Atlantic Canada.

There are now seven active reported cases in the province.

P.E.I. has reported 110 cases of COVID-19 since the start of the pandemic.

---

10:35 a.m.

Ontario is reporting 1,913 new cases of COVID-19 today, likely under-reported due to a technical error in Toronto.

Health Minister Christine Elliott says that Toronto is reporting 550 new cases of the novel coronavirus.

Over the past three days, Toronto reported 815 new cases, 1,035 new cases and 903 new cases.

There were 46 more deaths linked to the virus in Ontario.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Jan. 19, 2021.

The Canadian Press