Residents of a long-term care home in Pictou County were evacuated from their complex Sunday.
In a news release Sunday night, a spokesperson for Pictou County Regional Emergency Management Organization said residents of Valley View Villa in Riverton, N.S., were evacuated due to an apparent air quality issue.
Around 8:30 p.m. Sunday night, the area was deemed safe and residents were being transported back to Valley View Villa.
Valley View Villa houses 113 residents.
No injuries have been reported and all residents and staff are safe. Local fire departments are investigating the source of the air quality issue.
RCMP released a traffic advisory Sunday that said they were assisting fire and emergency services to evacuate residents of a complex on the 6100 block of Trafalgar Road in Riverton.
Marcus Stephenson, the administrator for Valley View Villa just outside Stellarton, said he was told by the fire department that the home was being evacuated due to a chemical in one of the resident's rooms.
"People were feeling queasy on that unit and they decided to evacuate everybody," said Stephenson.
Stephenson said in a statement Monday morning that the chemical detected came from a garbage can, and some residents on the floor reported feeling unwell due to heat.
"The facility is putting immediate plans in place to temper the air in the building to avoid future incidents. Resident will be monitored and extra hydration rounds will be provided," said Stephenson.
He added that during inspection, a few propane lines that need replacing were discovered unrelated to the chemical incident. This will cause an odour over the next few days, but Stephenson said residents and families should not be alarmed.
MORE TOP STORIES