Maine officials have lifted the shelter-in-place order for two counties as they search for the suspect in Wednesday night’s mass shooting in Lewiston that left 18 people dead.
State Public Safety Commissioner Mike Sauschuck said Friday that residents should “remain vigilant” as they move around the area.
“We decided to rescind that order, again, but recommend that people remain vigilant as they move forward,” he said.
The announcement came in a press conference after Sauschuck named the victims of the shootings. He said all families had been notified.
Top Stories from The Hill
A massive law enforcement effort to capture the suspected gunman has expanded to local waterways, officials announced Friday morning. Officials said they believe Robert Card is the man who killed 18 people and injured 13 more in a bowling alley and restaurant.
Sauschuck said Friday morning that police helicopters and divers would search the Androscoggin River near the boat launch where Card left his vehicle.
In Friday afternoon’s press conference, Sauschuck said neighborhood canvassing by marked police officers would take place soon.
The next press conference is expected at 10 a.m. Saturday.