Malahide fire caused by unattended open burn

·1 min read

The cause for a barn fire on Imperial Road near Yorke Line last week was determined to be an unattended open burn. “One of the occupants was burning cardboard boxes and thought it was out when they walked away,” said Don MacLean, Deputy Fire Chief at Malahide Fire Service.

The barn was confirmed to be a total loss, with the insured value at $40,000. The contents inside the barn cost just under $10,000, containing some lawn equipment and a wagon.

At 12:11 p.m., all three Malahide volunteer fire stations were dispatched to the barn fire. Six minutes later, the first firefighter arrived and stated that the barn was on fire and fully in flames.

“With the assistance of a tanker from Central Elgin, Belmont station and the members of Malahide Fire Service the fire was quickly knocked down and extinguished,” said Deputy Chief MacLean.

The fire department cautioned that open burns are to be monitored at all times to prevent any unintentional damage.

Veronica Reiner, Local Journalism Initiative Reporter, Aylmer Express