Police have launched a murder probe after two women were found dead in a West Sussex village on Sunday morning.
Authorities said they had arrested a man after reports of a disturbance at a house on Hazel Way in Crawley Down.
Officers attending found two women dead outside the house and another man seriously injured inside.
Initial reports suggested the two women had been stabbed, but police announced on Sunday evening that a knife was not involved in their deaths.
A spokesperson from Sussex Police added it was an isolated incident with no further risk to the public.
The force gave no further details about the arrested man or the cause of death. The injured man has been taken to Royal Sussex County Hospital in Brighton.
In response to reports that a knife had been involved, Detective Chief Inspector Alex Geldart, of the Sussex and Surrey major crime team, said: “I wish to make it absolutely clear that this is not a knife crime.”
READ MORE FROM YAHOO NEWS UK:
She added: “At this time we believe this to be an isolated incident, with no ongoing risk to members of the public.
“This is a fast-moving investigation which will see significant police resources deployed to the scene for the forseeable future.
“We are grateful for the support and patience of the local community while we conduct our enquiries.”
Three forensic tents were pitched in the street, while residents said 10 police cars had initially been dispatched to the scene to deal with the incident.
Investigators in white forensic suits could be seen combing the area for evidence.
A police cordon remains in place around the houses close to where the bodies were found.
A neighbour told MailOnline soon after the incident: “This is a terrible scene - and so near Christmas. Those poor people, they must have been terrified in the moments before they died.
“This is normally such a quiet place, nothing nasty ever happens here. We are just a nice ordinary estate with no trouble.”