Man found guilty of stabbing his mother to death at her job in Toronto's underground PATH system

·3 min read
Defence lawyer Joelle Klein, left, and Duncan Sinclair, right, at a court appearance earlier this month. (Pam Davies/CBC - image credit)
Defence lawyer Joelle Klein, left, and Duncan Sinclair, right, at a court appearance earlier this month. (Pam Davies/CBC - image credit)

A man accused of stabbing his own mother to death in 2019 has been found guilty by a jury of first-degree murder.

Duncan Sinclair, now 22, was 19 at the time of the killing of Rae Cara Carrington, who was stabbed at least 11 times while she was at work in downtown Toronto's underground PATH system.

Sinclair had pleaded not guilty to a single count of first-degree murder at Superior Court in Toronto. Justice Anne Molloy presided over the trial.

He showed little emotion as his verdict was read out Friday.

Crown attorney Pamela Santora earlier told the jury Carrington was "trying to get her life back on track" after a complicated separation from her husband.

The Crown argued Sinclair murdered his mother because he didn't want her to regain custody of his three youngest siblings, who were in foster care after their father was found guilty of abuse.

A statement issued by the Crown after the verdict stated Sinclair was "angered" by his mother's actions that led to the arrest of his father Paul Sinclair and that the killing was motivated by Duncan Sinclair's "animosity for his mother."

The defence argued that if Sinclair did kill his mother, the stabbing wasn't pre-meditated because he didn't have a getaway plan, and even went to a thrift shop to buy clothes and toiletries after the attack.

Security cameras captured video of the attack, which happened at Fast Fresh Foods in the area of King Street West and Bay Street on the evening of April 10, 2019.

Court exhibit
Court exhibit

Sinclair found his mother in the kitchen prep area of the establishment, Santora said, and he spoke to her before pulling out a large purple knife and stabbing her repeatedly.

"When she fell to the floor he walked towards the counter as though to leave before turning back and inflicting one final blow with the knife," Santora said.

"Duncan Sinclair then calmly walked off camera with the knife in hand without hesitation."

After the murder, Sinclair turned off his cell phone, boarded public transit and travelled to a YMCA in Midland, Ont. where he searched online about the killing, alarming staff.

His mother's blood was located on the pants he was wearing at the time of his arrest, the Crown's statement said.

"This was not an overly complex case. However, it remains a tragically sad and deeply disturbing reality."

Court exhibit
Court exhibit

Sinclair's lawyer, Joelle Klein, said Sinclair's sister who was present at the trial, gave him a lot of "comfort."

"There's no disputing that it's a very sad and very tragic set of circumstances for everyone including my client," Klein said.

"I think it was important for him to see his sister there. His sister seemed to be very caring and very thoughtful toward him. She was waving at him throughout the trial."

First-degree murder carries an automatic life sentence without the possibility of parole for 25 years.

Sinclair will return to court on Nov. 22 for a sentencing hearing.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting