Markham residents will cast a ballot for the best landmark building in the city.
The Markham Design Excellence Awards seek to recognize outstanding urban design in the City of Markham. There is a new People’s Choice Award this year, which will be awarded to the nominee that receives the most public votes cast from Sep. 3 to Sep. 30.
Markham Mayor Frank Scarpitti said, “This is an opportunity to show our appreciation to design leaders that are putting Markham on the map.”
“The 2021 Markham Design Excellence Awards is a celebration of the best projects in several categories, including a new category, the People’s Choice Award, as a further opportunity to engage the community in city-building and design,” noted Arvin Prasad, commissioner of development services.
The latest People’s Choice Award went to Millennium Park, located at 100 Town Centre Blvd., in 2001.
The Pan Am Centre got the Jury Award and Buildings of Significance in 2014.
Industrial, commercial, residential, recreational, heritage, open space and public realm projects are all eligible for submission in the following categories:
• Building of Significance Award: to recognize a building of at least three stories that responds to local context and integrates into the community through design;
• Institutional Building Award: to recognize a civic building (cultural building, school or scientific building) that has become a new icon or city landmark and integrates with the existing local community while meeting the needs of the city;
• Community Design Award: to recognize a compact, pedestrian-friendly community that fosters a sense of place;
• Open Space & Public Realm Award: to recognize a park, plaza, facility or landscaped area with a fresh and new approach to the treatment of open spaces;
• Urban Intensification Award: to recognize infill, mixed-use or transit-oriented development that exemplifies place-making and efficient use of public infrastructure to reinforce the public realm.
Submissions close on Aug. 27.
Irene Wong, Local Journalism Initiative Reporter, Economist & Sun