Mayor Canniff reminds C-K not to be complacent

·2 min read

Despite Chatham-Kent’s number of active cases heading in the right direction, Mayor Darrin Canniff is reminding all residents not to get complacent.

According to Mayor Canniff, he understands why people are tired of being cooped up after nearly a full year, but he still wants them to keep following health and safety measures.

“There’s always a risk with complacency,” said Canniff. “As we start being more optimistic about the vaccine, we need people to not be complacent over the next few months. Because if we continue doing what we’re doing and the numbers are coming down, we can open up our economy. We just need to be cautious.”

Canniff added that he is hopeful that everyone who wants a vaccine has received one come late summer or early fall.

As of Feb. 18, no new cases were reported by the Chatham-Kent public health unit as the cumulative total held at 1,333 cases. The region was down to 32 active cases, its fewest in more than two months.

The local Public Health Unit said active cases are down to 32 after six cases were resolved. The number of local people hospitalized with the virus also dropped by three and is down to two.

Two institutional outbreaks continue at Fairfield Park Nursing Home and the medicine unit at the Chatham hospital. Fairfield Park Administrator Tracey Maxim reported two active cases of COVID-19 among residents and three active cases among staff. She said all other cases had been resolved.

One hundred total cases have been reported at Fairfield Park, and 23 total cases have been accumulated at the hospital since their outbreaks began.

“Our home is doing well, and we are pleased to report that most of our staff have been able to return to work. Our residents are happy to see their familiar faces, and it is because of the efforts of our entire care team that we have turned the corner on this outbreak,” wrote Maxim in a statement.

According to Chatham-Kent’s Medical Officer of Health, Dr. David Colby, he is optimistic Chatham-Kent may move out of the red-control level when Ontario updates its colour-coded five-level system of COVID-19 restrictions. The next update is not expected until Feb. 26.

“Our numbers in Chatham-Kent are looking very, very good right now with the potential of jumping down two categories, based on what our numbers are at the moment,” said Colby.

Bird Bouchard, Local Journalism Initiative Reporter, The Ridgetown Independent News