Major League Baseball has fired former Toronto Blue Jays second baseman and Hall of Famer Roberto Alomar from a consultant position amid a sexual misconduct allegation.
Commissioner Rob Manfred on Friday announced Alomar had been placed on the MLB's ineligible list, according to a media release from the league.
A statement from the commissioner said an independent investigation was conducted by an external legal firm at his office's request to review the allegation, which date back to 2014 and were reported by a "baseball industry employee" earlier this year.
"Having reviewed all of the available evidence from the now completed investigation, I have concluded that Mr. Alomar violated MLB's policies, and that termination of his consultant contract and placement on MLB's Ineligible List are warranted," the statement said.
"We are grateful for the courage of the individual who came forward. MLB will continue to strive to create environments in which people feel comfortable speaking up without fear of recrimination, retaliation, or exclusion."
WATCH | CBC Sports' Matt Cullen details Alomar firing:
The complainant's lawyer released a statement later Friday saying she did not plan to take further action against Alomar.
"She simply wants to ensure that Mr. Alomar is held accountable for his wrongdoing and hopes her actions can help Major League Baseball create a safer workplace for its employees," the statement said.
It also expressed the woman's support for MLB's action against Alomar.
In January, New York Mets general manager Jared Porter was fired for having sent sexually explicit and uninvited messages and images to a female reporter in 2016.
The next month, Los Angeles Angels pitching coach Mickey Callaway was suspended following allegations of inappropriate behaviour from five women in sports media.
Jays 'severing all ties' with player
In a statement, the Blue Jays supported MLB's decision.
"The Blue Jays are severing all ties with Alomar, effective immediately, [and] are committed to advancing respect and equity in baseball and are taking further action by removing Alomar from the Level of Excellence and taking down his banner at Rogers Centre."
Alomar's No. 12 banner was revealed at the Rogers Centre nearly 10 years ago in July 2011. He's one of only two players in franchise history to have their numbers retired, joining late pitcher Roy Halladay.
The release said the team commends "the courage demonstrated by the individual who bravely came forward."
Alomar responded with a statement on Twitter, saying "with the current social climate [he understands] why Major League Baseball has taken the position they have."
"I am disappointed, surprised, and upset with today's news," he said. "My hope is that this allegation can be heard in a venue that will allow me to address the accusation directly."
"I will continue to spend my time helping kids pursue their baseball dreams. I will not be making any further comment at this time."
MLB says it also won't be providing further details to respect the person's privacy and confidentiality.
Plaque remains in Cooperstown
The National Baseball Hall of Fame said it was "shocked and saddened," but that Alomar's plaque would remain on display to recognize his achievements in baseball.
"When he was elected to the Hall of Fame by the Baseball Writers' Association of America in the Class of 2011, Alomar was an eligible candidate in good standing. His plaque will remain on display in the Hall of Fame in recognition of his accomplishments in the game, and his enshrinement reflects his eligibility and the perspective of the BBWAA voters at that time."
Alomar is a 12-time all-star and received 10 Gold Glove Awards. He became the first Toronto Blue Jays player to be inducted into the Hall of Fame after spending five seasons with the team, including the back-to-back World Series wins in 1992 and 1993.
He first signed with San Diego, but also played for Baltimore, Cleveland, the New York Mets, Chicago and Arizona.