More than 100 killed in Congo flooding
KINSHASA, Congo (AP) — More than 100 people were killed in flooding and landslides brought on by torrential overnight rains in eastern Congo's South Kivu province, a local official said Friday.
Thomas Bakenge, a regional government official gave the estimate after overseeing recovery efforts in the affected territory of Kalehe, calling the scale of destruction "enormous, beyond words ... whole houses were carried away." He said bodies were still being collected from the shores of the nearby Lake Kivu.
Two rivers broke their banks after the heavy rains which began on Thursday evening and there have been multiple landslides with scores of homes destroyed, according to Delphin Birimbi, a community leader in the region.
As bodies were pulled from the mud, some residents estimated that more than 75% of homes in the village of Nyamukubi have been carried away by the floods, along with school buildings and a health center.
Official Thomas Bakenge called for immediate assistance, saying “there is absolutely nothing left here. We urgently need help.”
Rescuers worked to find and save anyone who may be trapped under the rubble of their homes.
In a statement published Friday, the provincial government of South Kivu offered its sympathies to the families affected and said it was sending a delegation to the scene.
Heavy rains have brought misery to thousands in East Africa, with parts of Uganda and Kenya also seeing heavy rainfall.
Flooding and landslides in Rwanda, which borders Congo, left 129 people dead earlier this week.
Jean-yves Kamale, The Associated Press