A violent start to 2020: Seven people murdered in first week of new year

Will Taylor
News Reporter
Forensic officers at the crime scene in Finsbury Park after a man was stabbed to death on Friday evening. (PA Images)

A series of violent crimes has marked the new year.

A number of murders took place on New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day. Further fatal incidents, attempted murders and assaults then happened over the first few days of the decade.

Victims include a middle-aged couple, teenagers at a house party and a mum of six.

Police expect crime at the end of the year, and arrests spike during New Year celebrations.

Among the alcohol-fuelled arrests were a number of serious cases, with families starting 2020 with tragedy.

Stacey Cooper, 34, was found dead in Redcar on New Year's Eve.

Redcar, 31 December

A man has been charged with the murder of a mother of six.

Emergency services attended an address in Malham Gill, Redcar, where they found the body of 34-year-old Stacey Cooper.

Liam Murray, 27, has been charged with her murder and appeared at Teesside Magistrates’ Court on Thursday.

A family statement said: “Stacey was a much loved mother-of-six, a treasured daughter and sister.

“There are no words to express our sadness.

“Stacey was a wonderful mother and the loss of her to her children is unimaginable.”

Police at the scene in Duffield, Derbyshire after two people were found dead in a house. (PA Images)

Duffield, 1 January

An estranged husband appeared in court on Monday 6 January charged with murdering his wife and her lover.

Rhys Hancock, 39, of Portland Street, Etwall, Derbyshire, is accused of killing Helen Hancock, 39, and Martin Griffiths, 48, at their former marital home.

The pair were found to have been stabbed to death at the house in Duffield on New Year’s Day.

Mrs Hancock, of Duffield, Derbyshire, was a teacher and had three children, aged nine, four and three, with her estranged husband.

Helen Hancock (nee Almey) and Martin Griffiths. (Derbyshire Constabulary)

Mr Griffiths, of Derby, was a father of two. The pair had suffered multiple stab wounds at the house after police were called at 4.11am .

Rhys Hancock appeared at Southern Derbyshire Magistrates’ Court for a 10-minute hearing on Monday.

Isaiah Usen-Satchell was stabbed to death on New Year's Day.

Sheffield, January 1

Isaiah Usen-Satchell was stabbed to death after being involved in an altercation in the Norfolk Park area of the South Yorkshire city.

Three men from Rotherham – two aged 18 and one aged 20 – were arrested on Wednesday and released on bail.

A further two men – aged 22 and 27, both also from Rotherham – were arrested on suspicion of murder.

Mr Usen-Satchell was described by his university, Leeds Trinity, as a “real character with a big personality” while sister Iman Anne Usen-Satchell said she was “heartbroken”.

Anyone with information can call 101 quoting incident number 458 of January 1 2020 or speak to Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

West Norwood, 1 January

Three people were arrested after three teenagers were stabbed at a New Year’s Eve party in south London.

Police were called to Casewick Road at about 12.16am on Wednesday after a fight broke out.

Three males, two aged 17 and one aged 18, had suffered stab injuries and were taken to hospital. The injuries are not life-threatening.

Three people were arrested on suspicion of attempted murder.

Felixstowe, 1 January

Two women were stabbed in Suffolk early on New Year’s Day.

Officers were called to Mill Lane, Felixstowe, just after 2am, where a 33-year-old woman had suffered a serious knife wound to her stomach.

A 44-year-old woman had received a knife injury to the shoulder.

Both women were taken to Ipswich Hospital, where the 33-year-old is in a serious but stable condition while the 44-year-old was released following treatment.

A 34-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of attempted murder on New Year’s Day.

Police believe everyone involved knew each other.

Harrogate, January 3

Three teenage boys were arrested on suspicion of attempted murder after a man in his 30s was stabbed in the town centre.

The boys, aged 13, 15 and 16, were questioned over the attack yesterday. Police had been called to Victoria Shopping Centre in the North Yorkshire town at about 4.40am on Friday.

The victim was said to have been seriously hurt in the attack and suffered cuts to his face, back and leg, but the injuries are not life-threatening.

Anyone with information has been urged to contact North Yorkshire Police.

Sussex Police are investigating a man's death in Brighton. (PA Images)

Brighton, January 4

A 24-year-old is believed to have been murdered after police discovered his body on Thursday afternoon.

Billy Henham, 24, of Henfield, West Sussex, was found dead in North Street, Brighton.

A 26-year-old man from Hove, an 18-year-old man from Greenwich and a 16-year-old boy of no fixed address were questioned and released on conditional bail.

Police are appealing for witnesses to come forward.

Detective Chief Inspector Mark Chapman, from the Surrey and Sussex Major Crime Team, said: “Our thoughts remain with Billy’s family and friends at this difficult time.

“We are continuing to conduct enquiries in the city centre and are appealing for any witnesses to come forward.

“We would particularly like to hear from anyone who saw Billy on New Year’s Eve in Brighton from about 6pm onwards.”

Anyone with information can call 101 quoting “Operation Gatling”.

Glasgow, January 4

A 41-year-old man was found seriously injured in Royston Road in the Germiston area on Saturday evening,.

He was treated for stab wounds at Glasgow Royal Infirmary.

Detective Alistair Donaldson at Maryhill CID said: “We are still trying to establish the motive and exact circumstances surrounding this incident and are reviewing CCTV in the area.

“Anyone who was in the area of Royston Road around 9.45 (Saturday) night and may have witnessed a disturbance of some sort is asked to contact police immediately.”

Police Scotland is investigating a stabbing in Glasgow. (Jane Barlow/PA Wire)

Slough, January 5

A teenager was stabbed to death in Slough with police arresting two men on suspicion of murder.

Officers were called to Benjamin Lane in Wexham before South Central Ambulance Service took the injured male to hospital. He was later pronounced dead and his next of kin has been informed.

Two 18-year-old men have been arrested on suspicion of murder.

Dejan Avramovic, of Thames Valley Police’s Major Crime Unit, said: “Members of the public will see an increased police presence whilst we continue to investigate and patrols will be increased in the area.

“We would ask anyone with any information or concerns to please speak to one of our officers.”

Anyone with any information should call 101 quoting reference 1118 4/1/2020.

Police cordon off Charteris Road close to the junction with Lennox Road in Finsbury Park after a man was stabbed to death on Friday evening. (PA Images)
Forensic officers at the crime scene. (PA Images)

Finsbury Park, January 5

A manhunt for a van driver believed to have been involved in the fatal stabbing of a delivery rider is under way.

Detectives have named the victim as 30-year-old Takieddine Boudhane, who had been riding a motorbike when he was stabbed to death in Finsbury Park on Friday evening.

Police said Mr Boudhane, who worked for Deliveroo and Uber Eats, was involved in an altercation with the driver of a white van at the junction of Lennox Road and Charteris Road.

The van was found in Islington on Sunday and police are carrying out a forensic examination.

Detective Chief Inspector Neil John has appealed for witnesses and people with mobile phone footage to come forward.

He said: “The incident itself appears to have been spontaneous and not connected to, or as a result of, anything other than a traffic altercation.”