N.L. delays second dose of vaccine to four months, reports three new COVID-19 cases

·1 min read

ST. JOHN'S, N.L. — Newfoundland and Labrador is extending the interval between the first and second doses of the COVID-19 vaccine to four months.

Public health officials said Wednesday the change will help them vaccinate 40,000 more people with a single dose by the end of March.

Liberal Leader and incumbent Premier Andrew Furey says the decision is a game changer for the province's vaccination prospects.

British Columbia provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry raised eyebrows Monday when she announced her province will delay the second dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna COVID-19 vaccines to four months.

Henry said Monday she expected the National Advisory Committee on Immunization to issue a statement in the coming days aligning with B.C.'s decision.

Health officials in Newfoundland and Labrador are reporting three new cases of COVID-19 today and say all are linked to previously reported infections.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published March 3, 2021.

The Canadian Press