N.S. reports two new cases during 100th COVID-19 briefing since start of pandemic

·1 min read

HALIFAX — Nova Scotia reported two new cases of COVID-19 today during the 100th pandemic-related briefing by Premier Stephen McNeil and chief medical officer of health Dr. Robert Strang.

Strang says cases are slowly creeping upward and health officials have reported 10 new infections since Tuesday's briefing.

One new case was identified in the eastern part of the province and is related to travel outside the Atlantic region, while the second is in the health zone that includes Halifax and involves a close contact of a previously reported case.

Today's COVID-19 briefing was the last for McNeil as premier, who will be replaced when new Liberal leader Iain Rankin is sworn in on Tuesday.

McNeil says the 100 COVID-19 briefings were filled with highs and lows and he brought up the time he used the now-famous catchphrase "Stay the blazes home," for which he has become known.

The province will be renewing its state of emergency until March 7.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Feb. 18, 2021.

— — —

This story was produced with the financial assistance of the Facebook and Canadian Press News Fellowship.

The Canadian Press