The Disney-owned broadcaster also had a busy day of announcements with a new science series fronted by Chris Hemsworth, a short-form digital doc series from Wonder Woman star Gal Gadot and a Life Below Zero spin-off leading a slew of renewals.
More from Deadline
- 'It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia's Rob McElhenney Says "We'll Keep Doing It Forever"
- Apple Unveils First British Scripted Original, Imelda Staunton & Rafe Spall Relationship Comedy 'Trying' - TCA
- Apple Docuseries 'Home' & 'Dear...' Get Premiere Dates, First-Look Images - TCA
Courteney Monroe, President of National Geographic Global Television Networks, also unveiled a new diversity scheme to improve the makeup of behind-the-scenes wildlife filming and gave Deadline an update on the Hot Zone follow-up and potential new projects from the directors of feature doc Free Solo.
Monroe told Deadline that The Hot Zone, which starred Julianna Margulies, was the highest-rated scripted in the history of the network. Last year, the network began discussions with producers Fox 21 TV Studios and Scott Free to turn the drama, chronicling the Ebola virus outbreak, into an anthology series. Today, Monrose said, “We are hard at work in development on a potential next instalment on that. We are actively working on something I am excited about.”
Monroe said that the pair were now working on follow-up feature docs and series, the first time that the pair moved into the long-form medium. Chai Vasarhelyi and Jimmy Chin have brought us some great ideas. I can’t [announce] anything but we are so excited to continue that partnership that was quite fruitful for us,” she said.
The former HBO exec also unveiled a new behind-the-scenes diversity scheme. “As the global leader in natural history programming, we are profoundly aware that there is a lack of diversity in the field among natural history production teams. So in partnership with the National Geographic Society, we are launching Field Ready program. It’s a mentorship program designed to provide clear career path for young, new diverse talent who are interested in working behind the camera. It will be a beacon to production partners as they look to hire the next generation of diverse talent,” she said.
Best of Deadline
- Peacock Programming: List Of NBCUniversal Streaming Service’s Series, Films, Sports, News & More
- Stan Lee's Legacy: Ranking The Hollywood Heroes Co-Created By The Marvel Comics Icon
- Disney-Fox Deal: How It Ranks Among Biggest All-Time Media Mergers