National Arts Centre employee in hospital after late-night fire

·1 min read
No performance at the National Arts Centre (NAC) was affected by the fire, and planned performances will continue as scheduled this weekend, said Annabelle Cloutier, NAC spokesperson. (Uday Rana/CBC - image credit)
No performance at the National Arts Centre (NAC) was affected by the fire, and planned performances will continue as scheduled this weekend, said Annabelle Cloutier, NAC spokesperson. (Uday Rana/CBC - image credit)

A National Arts Centre (NAC) employee is recovering from cardiac arrest induced by inhaling smoke from a fire that broke out in the building Friday night.

Ottawa firefighters received a call about a fire shortly before 10:30 p.m. Fire crews and paramedics rushed to the scene.

The fire broke out in a linen dryer in the centre's kitchen laundry room Friday evening, Annabelle Cloutier, NAC spokesperson, told CBC News in an email.

"The fire was extinguished and didn't spread further," Cloutier said.

One employee, a 51-year-old man, went into cardiac arrest due to smoke inhalation, according to the Ottawa Paramedic Service.

Paramedics on scene tried to reverse the effects of the smoke inhalation and took him to hospital, the service said.

As of Saturday morning, the man is recovering and the NAC hopes he will be released from hospital soon, Cloutier said.

The cause of the fire has yet to be determined.

No performances were affected by the fire, and planned performances will continue as scheduled this weekend, Cloutier said, adding the 1 Elgin Restaurant will also still be open for dinner.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting