Neighbouring home damaged by shed fire

·1 min read

A shed fire in Bayham on Friday morning, March 12, caused about $22,000 in total damages and resulted in minor injuries.

Bayham Fire Department responded to a report of a structure fire at about 5:45 a.m. at 56557 Heritage Line in a separated wood shed. A neighbour, who was leaving for work, noted the shed on fire and called emergency services.

“Upon the fire department arrival, the wooden structure was well involved (in flames),” said Bayham Fire Chief Harry Baranik. About 25 volunteer firefighters responded from both fire stations.

Suppression efforts were two-fold: the first priority was to douse the shed, and the second was to protect exposures, as a neighbouring house was receiving heat damage.

The shed and its contents, estimated at $12,000, were totally destroyed. The neighbour’s house sustained heat damage to its exterior, resulting in an estimated $10,000 in damage.

A neighbour suffered minor smoke inhalation and was treated and released on scene. One firefighter suffered a minor foot injury. Firefighters remained on scene for about two hours.

The fire is believed to have been caused from a newly installed wood stove and is not considered suspicious.

Veronica Reiner, Local Journalism Initiative Reporter, Aylmer Express