'Neighbours' actor Nicola Charles says co-stars tried to get her deported

·2 min read
Nicola Charles arrives for St Kilda Film Festival 2018 Opening Night on May 17, 2018 in Melbourne, Australia. (Photo by Sam Tabone/WireImage)
Nicola Charles arrives for St Kilda Film Festival 2018 Opening Night on May 17, 2018 in Melbourne, Australia. (Photo by Sam Tabone/WireImage)

Neighbours actor Nicola Charles has claimed two of her cast mates once attempted to get her deported back to the UK. 

The 51-year-old, who has played Sarah Beaumont for several stints between 1996 until 2016, said the co-stars had complained to Australian immigration about her. 

In her upcoming autobiography Soap Star she shares that she was accused of "taking a job away from an Australian".

Read more: Jason Donovan opens up on getting high on Neighbours set

In quotes published in the Herald Sun, Charles reveals she discovered the plan when her six month probation period ended and she signed a new deal with the soap. 

"I found out a handwritten letter was send to the immigration department by two cast trying to make me lose my job," Charles said. 

Australian soap Neighbours actress Nicola Charles attends the TVQuick Awards ceremony at the Dorchester Hotel in London.   (Photo by Michael Crabtree - PA Images/PA Images via Getty Images)
Australian soap Neighbours actress Nicola Charles attends the TVQuick Awards ceremony at the Dorchester Hotel in London. (Photo by Michael Crabtree - PA Images/PA Images via Getty Images)

The Bromsgrove-born actor explained that she knew who was behind the letter but did not name them. 

"I know who they were and I thought, what have I done to be disliked that much? The producer, in my contract meeting, told me there had been resistance from certain cast about me. 

"Then my immigration lawyer told me the letter complained that a British actor had been given a full-time role on the show, thus taking a job away from an Australian." 

It comes as last week saw Indigenous Australian actor Shareena Clanton state she had witnessed racist incidents while on the Neighbours set.

Clanton alleged racist slurs had been used on set, with one actor being removed from the set for a week as they were ordered to attend cultural sensitivity training. 

Shareena Clanton claimed she witnessed racism on the Neighbours set.  (Photo by Sam Tabone/WireImage)
Shareena Clanton claimed she witnessed racism on the Neighbours set. (Photo by Sam Tabone/WireImage)

The programme's production company Fremantle said in a statement: “Our quest is always to continue to grow and develop in this area and we acknowledge that this is an evolving process.

Read more: Neighbours actor returns to soap after 20 year break to care for mother

“Shareena’s involvement in the creative process and on set was invaluable and hugely educational and will benefit the series moving forward.

“There have been significant and lengthy discussions with Shareena during her time on Neighbours and we will continue to work with all cast and crew to ensure Neighbours continues to be a fully inclusive environment.”

Another former star, Meyne Wyatt, also said he witnessed racism and homophobia on set. 

Watch: Neighbours actor records new theme song