Late night fire destroys bungalow in Haley Station area of Whitewater

·1 min read

Haley Station – A Heather Place home was destroyed by fire shortly before midnight last Thursday, April 21.

Station 1 (Haley Fire Hall) was paged to the structure fire at 522 Heather Place, Chief Jonathan McLaren reported. Stations 2 (Cobden) and 3 (Foresters Falls) were immediately added to the response.

“Crews encountered a one-storey home with visible smoke and flame and began an offensive attack,” he said.

Eventually, 30 firefighters and equipment from all five Whitewater Township stations were battling the blaze. The firefighters conducted fireground operations and tanker shuttle from Camp Galilee.

The fire was brought under control by 1 a.m.

“The preliminary investigation indicates the fire originated from the wood stove and quickly spread through the structure,” Chief McLaren said. “Damage is estimated at $500,000.”

He said there were no injuries to the lone resident or to firefighters. Unfortunately, one person was displaced.

The Ontario Provincial Police assisted the homeowner, paramedics stood by to deal with any injuries and Hydro One responded to disconnect the power, the chief said.

A week earlier, around 1:30 a.m., firefighters responded to a four-home townhouse structure fire on Hume Street in Beachburg. Again, all five fire stations responded along with paramedics and OPP.

The fire originated in a vehicle parked in front of Townhouse #3. There were no injuries but six people are still out of their homes.

Connie Tabbert, Local Journalism Initiative Reporter, The Eganville Leader

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting