No new cases of COVID-19 have been reported in New Brunswick for the fifth straight day Wednesday.
There are still six active cases of the respiratory disease in the province.
Three of the cases are in the Moncton region (Zone 1), one is attributed to the Fredericton region (Zone 3), although the infected person is actually in Ontario recovering, one is in the Bathurst region (Zone 6), and one in the Miramichi region (Zone 7).
An infected Quebec resident who works in Campbellton is being counted in the Quebec numbers. Contact tracing is being conducted in New Brunswick.
A total of 934 COVID-19 tests were completed on Tuesday, bringing the total number of tests done since the pandemic began in March to 77,042.
There have been 200 cases of COVID-19 in the province so far, with 192 recoveries and two deaths.
Quebec surge prompts new measures by Vitalité
On Wednesday, the Vitalité Health Network announced an "uptick" in COVID-19 cases in Quebec is forcing it to implement new temporary measures for patients from that province, except for residents of the Listuguj First Nation and of Pointe-à-la-Croix.
The new measures, designed to prevent the spread of COVID-19, will also apply to any patients from outside the Atlantic bubble, until further notice.
- Compulsory preventive isolation in all Vitalité facilities.
- Non-urgent surgeries postponed to a later date.
- Non-urgent appointments at ambulatory care clinics (for colonoscopies, gastroscopies, for example) postponed to a later date.
- Visits prohibited, except for patients at end-of-life.
- All other measures taken for COVID-19 prevention purposes.
"We understand that this decision will somewhat inconvenience the patients covered by these measures. However, we must take all necessary steps to prevent COVID-19 — which is currently surging in Quebec — from crossing the border and hitting New Brunswickers hard," Vitalité president and CEO Gilles Lanteigne said in a statement.
I am confident that the precautions we are taking will considerably reduce the risk of spread to our communities. - Gilles Lanteigne, Vitalité president and CEO
Quebec reported 838 new cases of COVID-19 on Wednesday but no new deaths. There are 262 people in hospital, including 43 in intensive care.
"I am confident that the precautions we are taking will considerably reduce the risk of spread to our communities," said Lanteigne.
The temporary measures are subject to change in response to directives received from the Office of the Chief Medical Officer of Health for the province, according to the statement.
Earlier this week, the Quebec government announced that residents in Greater Montreal, Quebec City and the Chaudière-Appalaches regions won't be allowed to visit friends or family at home or sit down at their favourite restaurant for 28 days. Those regions are now considered red zones under the province's COVID-19 alert system.
Since the start of the pandemic, there have been 74,288 confirmed cases in Quebec and 5,834 people have died.
What to do if you have a symptom
People concerned they might have COVID-19 symptoms can take a self-assessment test on the government website at gnb.ca.
Public Health says symptoms shown by people with COVID-19 have included: a fever above 38 C, a new cough or worsening chronic cough, sore throat, runny nose, headache, new onset of fatigue, new onset of muscle pain, diarrhea, loss of sense of taste or smell, and difficulty breathing.
In children, symptoms have also included purple markings on the fingers and toes.
People with one of those symptoms are asked to:
Stay at home.
Call Tele-Care 811 or their doctor.
Describe symptoms and travel history.