Northwest B.C. remains COVID-19 hot spot

·2 min read

There were 31 new COVID-19 cases in the Terrace local health area (LHA) between Feb. 21 and Feb. 27, according to the latest data published by the BC Centre for Disease Control (BCCDC). That is five fewer cases than the week before. There is one more case in the Northern Health region with missing address information.

The Terrace (LHA), which includes Kitselas, Thornhill, and Kitsumkalum, continues to have one of the highest average daily rates per 100,000 people in B.C., along with several other LHAs in the northwest.

The Nass Valley also has a high rate per 100,000 people, with four new cases. Those BCCDC figures for the Nass Valley may not match numbers self-reported by the Nisga’a Valley Health Authority (NVHA), due to differences in how the two organizations track cases.

There were 73 new cases in the Prince Rupert LHA, 32 on Haida Gwaii, and seven in the Kitimat LHA. The week previous, there were no cases within the Kitimat LHA.

All of the LHAs in B.C. with an average daily rate of greater than 20 per 100,000 people are in the northwest except for Merritt, Vancouver - Centre North and Bella Coola Valley.

There was a COVID-19 exposure notice issued for Air Canada flight 8240 from Vancouver to Terrace on Feb. 26, according to the BCCDC’s list of flight exposures. Rows eight to 14 were affected.

Northern Health has listed a Feb. 19 exposure at Caledonia Secondary School and a Feb. 22 to Feb. 23 exposure at Skeena Middle School on its public exposures and outbreaks webpage.

As of Feb. 25, 33 residents and 23 staff have tested positive for COVID-19 at Acropolis Manor in Prince Rupert. Fourteen residents of the long term care facility have died in association with the outbreak, which was first declared on Jan. 19. According to a Northern Health information bulletin, the outbreak is considered stable, and full outbreak measures remain in place.

Officials from Pretivm Resources updated Terrace city council on the COVID-19 outbreak at its Brucejack Mine on March 4. As of that date, seven individuals were in isolation at the mine site, and the last case associated with the outbreak was discovered on Feb. 21 according to Greg Norton, vice president, environmental and regulatory affairs.

Ben Bogstie, Local Journalism Initiative Reporter, The Interior News