Nova Scotia reports 1,020 new cases of COVID-19, expands booster eligibility

·1 min read

HALIFAX — Health officials in Nova Scotia are reporting 1,020 new cases of COVID-19 today, and a test positivity rate of 10 per cent.

Public health says there are 36 people in hospital due to COVID-19, 31 of whom have been admitted since the Omicron variant was first detected in the province last month.

Online government data shows less than one per cent of people in the province were hospitalized as of Dec. 31.

By comparison, the province logged 6,067 cases from March 15 to November 9, and 314 of those patients were hospitalized, for a rate of five per cent.

Chief Medical Officer of Health Dr. Robert Strang told reporters today he is cautiously encouraged by the low hospitalization rate, but warned things could change quickly.

The province announced today that anyone 30 years of age and older is now eligible for a COVID-19 booster dose.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Jan. 3, 2021.

The Canadian Press

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting