Nova Scotia reported two additional COVID-19 cases with the U.K. variant on Wednesday.
The cases were identified at the National Microbiology Lab in Winnipeg.
Both individuals were tested in January and their positive cases were reported in the central zone. They isolated and have since recovered.
A news release from Nova Scotia's Department of Health and Wellness said an initial investigation did not determine a source for the infections. That investigation has been reopened.
The two individuals and their close contacts will be re-interviewed.
"With this new information we are being cautious. We are asking the people connected to these cases to get retested and [the Nova Scotia Health Authority] will reissue the potential exposure notice for the two cases," Dr. Robert Strang, Nova Scotia's chief medical officer of health, said in the news release Wednesday evening.
"Our strategy of testing, identifying cases and moving quickly when needed is working to keep our active cases low."
Public Health officials are asking anyone who was present at two previously announced potential exposure locations in Halifax to self-isolate and get tested immediately, even if they have already been tested, in relation to the ongoing investigation into the variant cases.
Anyone who worked at or visited the following locations on the specified dates and times should self-isolate immediately and book a COVID-19 test on the self-assessment website or by contacting 811, regardless of whether they have COVID-19 symptoms.
Atlantic Photo Supply Halifax at 6111 Pepperell St., Halifax on Jan. 20 between noon and 1:30 p.m.
HomeSense Bayers Lake at 9 Washmill Lake Ct., Halifax on Jan. 22 between 5:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.
Individuals must isolate while waiting for their test results.
There have now been three cases with the U.K. variant identified in Nova Scotia. The first was detected in December.
There has also been one case with the South African variant, which was reported in December.
1 new case Wednesday
Nova Scotia also reported one new case of COVID-19 on Wednesday.
The new case is in the central health zone and is related to a previously reported case. The person is self-isolating as required by public health regulations.
The province now has nine known active cases. One person is in hospital in ICU.
In a news release, Strang said the low numbers were the result of "comprehensive approach of quarantining, testing follow-up of cases and the efforts of every Nova Scotian."
Provincial health authority labs conducted 1,253 Nova Scotia tests on Tuesday.
As of Tuesday, 20,013 doses of the COVID-19 vaccine had been administered in Nova Scotia, including 5,900 second doses.
New quarantine measures
On Tuesday, Premier Stephen McNeil announced that people entering Nova Scotia from Newfoundland and Labrador will be subject to a 14-day isolation requirement upon arrival.
On Wednesday, Newfoundland and Labrador recorded 53 new cases of COVID-19 — the highest number of new cases since the beginning of the pandemic. Most of the cases are in the metro area of St. John's.
The province's English school district has suspended all in-class instructions for the St. John's metro area, Bell Island, Mobile and Witless Bay. Extracurricular activities have been suspended for all schools in the province.
Atlantic Canada case numbers
MORE TOP STORIES