HALIFAX — Health officials say 18 more Nova Scotians died of COVID-19 last week.
A news release today says 65 people were admitted to hospital because of the disease in the week ending Monday, down from 77 the week before.
Officials confirmed 3,118 new cases with PCR testing in that period, which is a drop from the 3,415 cases reported last Thursday.
Dr. Robert Strang, Nova Scotia’s chief medical officer of health, says the continued decline in COVID-19 cases is "great news" but the number of deaths and hospitalizations remains high.
He said in a statement that keeping in mind the severity of the illness is important, “as we make our way out of the sixth wave."
Nova Scotia Health is reporting that 253 health staff are off work due to COVID-19.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published May 12, 2022.
This story was produced with the financial assistance of the Meta and Canadian Press News Fellowship.
The Canadian Press