TORONTO — The Ontario government is providing an additional $3.8 million in funding to support the community of Wheatley as it recovers from an explosion that occurred at a building this summer.
The Aug. 26 explosion, suspected to be caused by a gas leak, levelled a building in downtown Wheatley and left several people requiring medical attention.
The province says the funds will help evacuated residents with immediate needs such as housing and food, and ensure the Municipality of Chatham-Kent can continue to deliver emergency services.
The government previously announced $2 million in funding to help businesses in the community resume operations.
The province says it will also continue to work closely with the municipality to provide technical support and guidance for the investigation into the source of the gas leak and to identify mitigation options.
Municipal Affairs and Housing Minister Steve Clark says the government is committed to supporting the people of Wheatley and helping the community recover from the devastating impacts of the explosion.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published Nov. 17, 2021.
This story was produced with the financial assistance of the Facebook and Canadian Press News Fellowship.
The Canadian Press