OPP tight-lipped about historic sex crime case of 70-year-old

·2 min read

DUTTON DUNWICH — A 70-year-old man charged in a historical sexual assault case faces allegations involving four people, including two younger than 14, over the span of three decades, court records show.

Middlesex OPP charged Timothy Quinlan, 70, in February with four counts of sexual assault, two counts of sexual interference and invitation to sexual touching with a person under 16. Quinlan, who was released from custody a few days after his arrest, is to appear in London court on May 26.

Police waited two months to notify the public about the charges against Quinlan. Middlesex OPP disclosed the charges last week in a news release that said investigators believe there may be more complainants, encouraging anyone with information to come forward. Ontario Provincial Police have also refused to make public a photo of the accused, a common practice with other police departments when similar cases are being investigated.

Court records show the offences are alleged to have happened between Jan. 1, 1984, and Aug. 17, 2016, across multiple locations in Dutton-Dunwich, Southwest Middlesex, Strathroy-Caradoc and London.

There are four complainants — two women and two men — and at least two of them were under the age of 14 at the time of the alleged offences. Two of the complainants, a man and a woman, share the same last name.

Quinlan, who declined to comment Saturday, has lived in a rental home northwest of Dutton for several years and previously worked for a national uniform and workplace supply company before retiring years ago, his neighbours said.

Many of the residents in the Elgin County community of about 4,100 declined to comment on the charges, citing privacy and the sensitivity of the allegations, but described Quinlan as a private, friendly man who went out of his way to greet people and help if needed.

The 70-year-old’s six-acre (2.4-hectare) rental property hit the market last week, a real estate listing shows, the same day the sexual assault allegations were made public by police. The property listed at $499,000 is a two-bedroom single-family home that borders the Thames River, the listing says.

Police declined on Friday to release any additional information about the allegations, including how the suspect had access to the youngsters. A spokesperson said officers were giving “limited information” to protect the identities of the complainants.

Anyone in need of support can contact Victim Services of Middlesex-London at 519-661-5636. OPP ask that anyone with information about the case contact them at 1-888-310-1122 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

cleon@postmedia.com

twitter.com/CalviatLFPress

Calvi Leon, Local Journalism Initiative Reporter, London Free Press

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting