The Ontario Secondary School Teachers Federation (OSSTF) local president says Wednesday's public education strike isn't a "one-and-done" situation.
"Every move that we've made has been to put pressure on the government to back off from their cuts," said Erin Roy, president of OSSTF District 9.
OSSTF members picketed from 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at 14 Greater Essex County District School Board (GECDSB) schools and at the Mason Centre on University Avenue.
GECDSB elementary schools are also closed, with some elementary educational workers joining the picket lines, but there is no picketing outside of the elementary schools.
The OSSTF represents:
- Secondary school teachers.
- Educational assistants at both levels.
- Early childhood educators at the elementary level.
- Professional student services personnel.
- Child and youth workers at both levels.
- Developmental service workers.
- Continuing education instructors.
- Language and employment services employees.