Canadian woman warns about danger of eyelash extensions after severe reaction

Isabelle Kun, 20, had a new set of eyelash extensions applied on Tuesday. By Thursday, her eyes were swollen almost completely shut. (Credit: Isabelle Kun via Facebook)

An Ottawa woman is warning about the potential dangers of eyelash extensions after she developed a severe allergic reaction from the beauty treatment.

On Tuesday, Isabelle Kun, 20, had a new set of eyelash extensions applied by an aesthetician. By Thursday, her eyes were swollen almost completely shut.

Kun told CTV News that her girlfriend had slept over and she could barely see her.

“I was having a hard time swallowing and even breathing,” Kun said.

Her friend ended up calling an Uber to transport her to the hospital. Kun said they admitted her “within seconds” after they saw her face. Her eyes were apparently swollen “above and under” and her tonsils were inflamed.

ALSO SEE: Ottawa woman warns of eye tattoos after botched one leaves her partially blind

At $100 or more per procedure, the esthetician applies the lashes one at a time using eyelash glue.  (Photo: Getty)

Kun says she’s been getting eyelash extensions every few weeks for the last year. At $100 or more per procedure, the aesthetician applies the lashes one at a time using eyelash glue. Last month, Kun noticed her eyes became swollen after the procedure — she believed she was having a reaction to the glue.

She took note of the name of the adhesive and, on Tuesday, asked the aesthetician whether or not she was using that same brand — she explained that she believed she was allergic to that specific adhesive.

Kun said that the aesthetician didn’t know the name of the glue, but told her not to worry and that she “should be good.”

So Kun went through with the treatment, although she admits she shouldn’t have since she didn’t know what glue was being used. Hours later, her eyes started swelling up — more severely than before.

ALSO SEE: 7 body parts you should never touch

They sent her home with antihistamine pills. (Photo: Getty)

When she was admitted to the hospital two days later, doctors gave her an antihistamine and administered a steroid intravenously. They then sent her home with antihistamine pills. As of Thursday, the swelling still hasn’t improved, and Kun is worried because she wasn’t able to remove the glue due to her swollen eyes.

“My eyes are actually even worse now,” she said. “There’s like a sac of fluid under my eye now. It’s so gross.”

Kun hopes she can get eyelash extensions again, but she is warning women to ask for an allergy test before they get them done.

“… I mean, this morning I woke up and I wondered if I would ever be able to see again,” she said.

Let us know what you think by commenting below and tweeting @YahooStyleCA!
Follow us on Twitter and Instagram!