CHARLOTTETOWN — Health officials in Prince Edward Island are reporting the first two COVID-19 deaths of the pandemic.
Chief public health officer Dr. Heather Morrison says a person between the ages of 60 and 79 and a person over the age of 79 have died of COVID-19.
Premier Dennis King issued a statement today extending condolences to the families of the two people.
Officials are also reporting 225 new cases of COVID-19.
Prince Edward Island has 1,994 active reported cases and has reported an average of 199 new infections a day over the last week.
Morrison says the number of hospitalizations related to COVID-19 is unchanged from a day earlier — eight patients, including one in intensive care.
There are now 14 early learning and child-care centres with cases of COVID-19, and the Atlantic Baptist long-term care facility has 16 confirmed cases.
About 95.9 per cent of Islanders 12 and older have received at least one dose of COVID-19 vaccine, and 92.6 per cent have received two doses.
"Like all Islanders, I received this news of our first deaths related to COVID-19 with a heavy heart," King said. "This is not an easy announcement to make and on behalf of all Islanders I want to extend our deepest condolences to the loved ones of these individuals."
This report by The Canadian Press was first published Jan. 14, 2022.
The Canadian Press