Songwriters from across Canada will partner with P.E.I. songwriters this month to compose and pitch new tunes to an international audience of buyers.
It's part of the third annual Canadian Songwriter Challenge. Every province hosts an edition of the challenge — sponsored by Bell Media and the Canadian Council of Music Industry Associations — and P.E.I.'s event this year will be part of the May Run Festival, in Charlottetown from May 10-13.
Four Island musicians have been paired with musicians from other parts of the country.
- Jordan Alexander from Ontario with Rachel Beck of the Beck Sisters.
- Tyler Gilbert of Saskatchewan with Dennis Ellsworth.
- Gabrielle Papillon of Nova Scotia with Meaghan Blanchard.
- Ross Neilsen of Saskatchewan with Andrew Waite of Andrew Waite and the Firm.
The four pairs will write together for two days and record demos. On May 12 they present the demos in a listening session to a group of delegates including music supervisors, publishers, labels, broadcasters from across Canada, the U.K. and the U.S.
You can listen to some of the results from previous events here.
The musicians will also come together to perform in a concert.
A complete schedule of May Run events can be found here.
- MORE P.E.I. NEWS | Record lobster prices in Nova Scotia gives Island fishermen 'hope'
- MORE P.E.I. NEWS | P.E.I. curling coach Olympics-bound