6 / 23

Nick Carter

The Backstreet Boys’ Nick Carter has been accused of rape by singer and actress Melissa Schuman, who claims the alleged encounter took place 15 years ago. The allegation came to light in a blog post shared on Twitter on November 19 by the one-time member of the all-girl singing group Dream. Schuman says she was 18 when Carter invited her over to his Santa Monica, Calif., apartment, where a small group of friends were drinking. Schuman claims the two snuck away to an office to listen to some music, which led to kissing. Carter allegedly picked her up and brought her to a bathroom where he began to unbutton her pants. “I told him I didn’t want to go any further,” Schuman says, claiming Carter responded by saying he wouldn’t tell anybody. She alleges he performed oral sex on her before convincing her to do the same for him, claiming she “felt scared and trapped.” After moving to a bedroom, Schuman claims she told Carter she was a virgin at the time and was saving herself for marriage, to which Carter allegedly replied: “I could be your husband.” Recounting the alleged incident, Schuman writes: “He put something inside of me. I asked him what it was and he whispered in my ear once more, ‘It’s all me, baby.'” Schuman says she felt obligated to come forward and took to Twitter to thank others for “aiding me in the healing that I so desperately needed.” Carter tells People magazine he is “shocked and saddened” by the claims, insisting the alleged encounter was consensual and that he’s always been respectful towards Schuman. Photo from Getty Images.

PHOTOS: High-profile stars facing sexual misconduct allegations

WARNING: The details in this article are graphic in nature. Readers’ discretion is advised. 

The sexual harassment claims involving some of the biggest names in entertainment are mounting as more and more people are speaking out.

The allegations are sending shockwaves across social media, where the #MeToo campaign has made headlines worldwide.

If it seems like there’s a new revelation every day, it’s probably because there is one. Not all of them include famous movie actors and producers, but that’s where the tidal wave began.

Since accusations were levied against powerful film executive Harvey Weinstein in October 2017, scores of women and some men have come forward with claims of their own.

This photo gallery details the claims and responses of those facing sexual assault accusations in the past month, including Weinstein, Ben Affleck, James Toback, Kevin Spacey, Dustin Hoffman, Jeremy Piven, Brett Ratner, George Takei, Ed Westwick, Steven Seagal, Louis C.K., Jeffrey Tambor, Sylvester Stallone, Al Franken, Ryan Seacrest, Russell Simmons, Charlie Rose, Nick Carter, Matt Lauer, Geraldo Rivera, Danny Masterson, Mario Batali and Larry King.

This article only mentions allegations made against high-profile personalities in the entertainment industry, and does not mention others who have been accused of sexual misconduct since the #MeToo campaign went viral last month.

None of the allegations made against any of these figures have been proven in court. In some cases, the claims being made are being investigated by law enforcement.