'We need a place to rent': Elgin family calls for help after home destroyed by fire

·2 min read

A family is left homeless after a fire engulfed their mobile home on 15 Wilson Avenue in Elgin on Dec. 1.

Wanda MacDonald, her partner, three children and a son-in-law, escaped unharmed. They managed to save their six dogs and a cat, although one cat is still missing.

“I was in the house, on Facebook at the time, when Jason (her son) yelled that the bike was on fire, (although) they’re not sure if that’s what caused it,” MacDonald said.

The fire is still under investigation. The family has no home insurance to cover their losses.

MacDonald and her family went into the house a few times to save their pets, even though the house was on fire. “A lot of people say animals are just animals, but they’re not. They’re family members,” she explained.

She said her most immediate need is a three or four-bedroom place to rent. “That’s all I’m looking for--just enough space for my family. We’ve been calling around, but most places are rented,” MacDonald added.

She said her family has been getting huge donations from people in the community, but her father’s home, located right beside hers, can’t store the couches, beds and other items they’ve received.

“Our family is so grateful. I just want to say thank you to the community for helping out.”

Country Squire in Gananoque had been letting them stay at the hotel, but “our last stay is tonight, we have to be out of there tomorrow,” she said.

Her son Adam, 21, and her daughter both purchased brand new acoustic guitars for Christmas, but both guitars were burned in the fire.

“That’s all they wanted for Christmas,” MacDonald said. MacDonald can be reached at 613-532-4827.

A GoFundMe page has been set up to help the family.

Yona Harvey, Local Journalism Initiative Reporter, Smiths Falls Record News