Prince Edward Island eases COVID-19 restrictions, ends circuit breaker measures

·1 min read

CHARLOTTETOWN — Health officials in Prince Edward Island are easing COVID-19 health restrictions following a sustained downward trend in new infections.

Chief public health officer Dr. Heather Morrison said today the circuit breaker measures put in place earlier this month have helped break the chain of transmission of the novel coronavirus.

She says starting Saturday morning and until mid-April, limits on household gatherings will be increased to 10 people from six.

Restaurants will be able to seat up to 10 people at one table and close at midnight, up from a maximum of six at one table and a closing time of 10 p.m.

Concerts, movie theatres and places of worship will be able to host a maximum of 200 people, up from 50.

Prince Edward Island has 16 active reported infections.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published March 12, 2021.

— — —

This story was produced with the financial assistance of the Facebook and Canadian Press News Fellowship.

The Canadian Press