CHARLOTTETOWN — Prince Edward Island reported five new cases of COVID-19 on Wednesday.
In a news release, chief public health officer Dr. Heather Morrison said three new cases involve people in their 20s who are close household contacts of a previously reported infection linked to the Leaps and Bounds Childcare Centre in Charlottetown.
The other two cases involve people in their 30s who recently travelled to the Island from outside Atlantic Canada. All five individuals are self-isolating and being followed daily by public health.
Officials also reported a potential exposure related to an unnamed child care centre in eastern P.E.I., which closed while all children and staff were advised to get tested.
But later Wednesday, Morrison confirmed there was no exposure risk at the childcare centre.
"An inconclusive test result was received for an individual linked to the centre," an updated news release stated. "The individual was tested again and a further negative COVID-19 test confirmed that there is no risk of exposure at the location."
The centre is to reopen Thursday and operate as usual, officials said.
The province has 14 active reported cases of COVID-19.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published May 19, 2021.
The Canadian Press