Privy Council says a report assessing work of foreign interference panel sent to PMO
OTTAWA — The Privy Council Office says an assessment of the work done by a panel tasked with flagging incidents of foreign interference during the 2021 federal election is now complete and has been sent to the Prime Minister's Office and the National Security and Intelligence Committee of Parliamentarians.
A Critical Election Incident Public Protocol created to monitor and report threats during the 2019 and 2021 elections is required to publish a post-election assessment of its work.
The 2019 evaluation came about seven months after the campaign held that year, but the 2021 report is still not available more than a year after Canadians went to the polls.
The update from the Privy Council marks the first report on its status.
The Privy Council Office says an unclassified and public version of the report is being finalized and will be made available soon, but offered no specific timeline.
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, whose government is facing pressure over the issue of election interference, said last week he was looking forward to seeing the report when it is complete.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published Feb. 26, 2023.
The Canadian Press